Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 April 2011

SW CT today. April 5 2011.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 6:05am
Still feeling so lucky to be able to get out temporarily from the wounded battered city Sendai, that is our home. Taking shelter not locally but here has definitely strengthened my resolve and my determination to do what I can for Sendai on return though. While news from friends in Tokyo is good and shows improvement even since I was there last week (people can get gasolene without lining up for example), news from friends and kids in Sendai not so. Shelves still bare and no fresh fruit vegetables and meat anywhere. How long can a person stay healthy on packet processed longlife food : ( Japanese import rules also prevent these goods from being imported quickly as everything agricultral must be quarantined and inspected before it is allowed to be sold and that takes some time, much more time now when the country is still in mild chaos and many people are not back at work yet. Checking wirth customs at Narita airport I was saddened to learn these were also the very goods I would be unable to bring back for people in my community. Even beef jerky was off limits : (  Have tried to work around this by purchasing lots of sealed pouches of cooked fish and cheese, some protein at least.
Feeling the pain of the wounds and scars that run so deep. Such a beautiful city Sendai was too. Restless today to return home. One more day of love and luxury here and then back. No trains from Tokyo so its going to take me 2 days to get home...flight plus bus northbound.